I made this with my little girl, we had so much fun and it was super simple!
- Sugar (same amount as blackberries!)
- Lemon Juice to taste
- We first of all started off with going blackberry picking to get our most important ingredient! My little girl had so much fun doing this, we walked along and she picked the ones she could reach and pointed out too me the ones up high for me to pick! Obviously taste testing some as we went along! 😛
- Next we measured out how many blackberries we had, washed them under some warm water and then put them into a bowl! (we didn’t have a large amount)
- Then we mashed the blackberries up with our potato masher! This was lots of fun and a bit messy when she decided to see how fast she could do it..
- The sugar then is to be added, for us this was 1 and a half cups as we had one and a half cups of blackberries! Then mix it all together. Now is when you can add the lemon juice to taste if you want! We added a tiny little splash.
- Then pour the mixture into a saucepan, bring it to the boil while continuously mixing it! Once it has reached the boil, reduce the temperature down and stir it for a few more minutes.
- Finally find some old jam jars preferably to put it into! We didn’t have any so we used some bowls with lids that we had in the house, so anything can do really! Pop it into the fridge for a few hours to cool down.
- Find some nice bread and enjoy! .. Again we didn’t have any nice bread in the house and she was an eager beaver to try something that she had made! So we put it onto a bit of toast and really enjoyed it!
I hope you enjoy making this and that you find it as yummy as we did! If you do, let me know! =D
Today I had a lovely morning out with the kiddiwinks! We headed to a lovely little village called Groomsport! Its a little village by the sea, is very peaceful, beautiful and has many things my little ones love!
We started off by going for a little walk along the front, counting the boats we saw, blowing the dandelions that we found and making lovely wishes, then we discovered a place that we hadn’t found before! A little National Trust walk called Ballymacormick Point, I don’t know how I haven’t found it before or walked along there before! It was wonderful and even more so because we found some ripe and very yummy blackberrys! My little girl loves all kinds of fruit and veg and was very excited to try some blackberrys that she had picked straight from the bush!
As we carried on our walk I had a hunt in my handbag and managed to find a little ziplock bag, my little girl jumped with delight at the thought of collecting some and taking them all home. We carried on with our walk and kept collecting them while we were discussing what to do with them, a little lady who walked past us stopped for a chat with us as my little one was eager to show her all that we had collected! She suggested that we could try making a pie or some jam and that was that we were settled on making some jam once we got home! (recipe) The hunt carried on and we came across a honey bee! (She loves bugs too :P)
The honey bee was collecting pollen and was fascinating to watch, we watched him as he went from flower to flower and she asked me question after question! She asked me so many questions that she didn’t notice her little brother stealing the bag of blackberries from her hand.. he then decided to squish them and she broke out in laughter as we watched all the juices in the bag go everywhere (thankfully not over anyone!)
We then turned back after picking some blackberries to make our jam and headed for the little shop to grab an ice lolly and a drink then on-wards to the wonderful little park! The park in Groomsport is wonderful, not only do you get to enjoy a lovely view while your little ones are enjoying themselves, a big and a small climbing frame and there are gates all around it so a little one cant wander off. Wandering off is my little mans favorite thing, he loves just tottering about and exploring and wouldn’t have much interest in the park so when it is just me with them both it is pretty hard for either to enjoy! With him not being able to escape and wander off it was perfect as he could just dander around the park while she had lots of fun on the climbing frame/swings etc! He then found his favorite thing and one of the only things he will play on in a park.. a bridge! He loves just walking back and forth across the bridges, he would happily do that all day long if you left him to it!
After the park we headed to the little paddling pool and she had lots of fun running about in it as she had come prepared wearing some shorts! My little monkey man was safely back in his pram and enjoying the views and after that we headed home to make some delicious homemade blackberry jam! I’ll pop the recipe up shortly for if you fancy giving it a try! Here is the recipe! Very simple/fun and delicious!